Safari Ltd Duck
The male mallard duck, instantly recognizable by its green head and yellow bill, is ubiquitous throughout the northern hemisphere, with perhaps a larger population than any other duck species. Mallards grow to nearly 2 feet long and weigh nearly 3 pounds.
- Scientific Name: Anas platyrhynchos
- Characteristics: This alert mallard duck looks ready to take flight or step into the water. Either way, it’s play time.
- Size and Color: In perfect detail, the array of colors that bring beauty to the mallard are captured in this figure, the green, yellow, orange, and blue all attractive and lifelike. The figure is 3 inches long and 2 inches tall, similar in size to a half graham cracker.
- The Duck is part of the Safari Farm collection.
- All of Safari products are Non-toxic and BPA free.
The Mallard’s scientific name, Anas platyrhynchos, means broad-billed duck, with Anas being the Latin for duck, and Platyrhynchos being ancient Greek for broad billed. The Greek Platus can be recognized also in the name platypus, with means broad foot. Scientific names are created through a system called binomial nomenclature, which includes a genus and species name. Carolus Linnaeus, a Swedish scientist, popularized the system of binomial nomenclature in his Systema Naturae, the foundational work in zoology and botany, where he organized kingdoms into classes, order, genera, and species, giving many scientific names that are still in use today. One of those names, of course, was Anas platyrhynchos, the mallard duck.
- Recommended Age: 3
- Size in cm: 6.9 L x 3.7 W x 5 H